The biggest disappointment with dinner last night was my sad discovery that while Dragon Fruit may look incredibly exotic, cool, and inviting on the outside, the fruit is tasteless and boring! Oh, I was so sad to discover that! Maybe there are other parts to the fruit that are tasteful---I will have to be daring and buy one! Otherwise, the foods were delicious and resembled an American Thanksgiving in theme. Chris mentioned something about Thanksgiving, and I jokingly responded, "What do you know about Thanksgiving, you Canadian?" It was in company with his engineering coworkers, one of whom is also Canadian.
On the topic of foods, I MUST share about the carrots here! My goodness, they are huge! And unlike our carrots that typically taper to a point, these carrots are massive in diameter most the way down the length of the carrot and gently tapering, taking a shape more like a cucumber than a carrot.
That reminds me: Yesterday, I ventured to the Emporium Mall. It is HUGE! 6-8 floors (I lost count) with a grocery store on the top floor. That was where I ended up yesterday. I ventured out seeking food, and boy did I find it! And now---
I AM FINALLY REALLY EXCITED TO BE HERE!!!!
It took a few days for it to sink in with the jet lag, my first outing, and tying up and continuing to work on things from the States. And man, it feels so good to be somewhere that is part of the world community! I absolutely LOVE seeing products from England, Europe, Asia, and Australia (yes, Australia!) on the shelves. I really enjoy looking around and seeing people from all over the world. While it is intimidating as H%## sometimes to go outside and be part of the world when the language and everything is so foreign, it is also exhilarating! Last night, I spoke to a man from Egypt (briefly, but we still exchanged a few words!), and of course there are Brits and Aussies scattered about. I've seen a few tall, Brit/Aussie men paired with Thai women---those pairs always stick out, mostly because tall, Caucasian men stick out! This is where Chris and I fit in, at least in terms of our height. For example, on the BTS (the elevated trains that are shaped like subways but are 2-3 stories above ground), the handles and bars are the perfect level for our comfort, unlike in the States. I know my father will have to duck when he visits though!
Okay, of course there is more to share. But that will have to wait until later. The experiences are happening faster than I can record, and I've really done very little since I've been here! As I told my Dad earlier today (Thai-time), being here feels like being in Times Square but with way more people, in a smaller space, and in a completely foreign language. My inability to communicate is causing me more personal grief than I imagined it would. I miss talking to people!!! I enjoy talking to Moocha (not sure if that's right...), the woman who cleans our room. Three times a week, all the Thai staff in our apartment (it is like a hotel, actually) building take an English Lesson in the basement for one hour. Moocha is about my age and is very, very kind! I told her I'd help her with English if she helped me with Thai. I hope it works b/c I'm feeling so confined! And having dinner with Engineers was not the most releasing of experiences! :)
Oh, I took pictures yesterday and will put them up when I figure out how to do it!
Be well!
No comments:
Post a Comment