Wanderlust!

Wanderlust!
The essentials: phrase book (Thank you Annie!), journal (Thank you, Sarah!), little orange notebook for quick notes and references, guidebook, passport, and cell phone.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Koh Tao and the Snorkeling Adenture

So, a couple of weekends ago, the three of us (Dad, Chris, and me) boarded a night bus with a bunch of other "backpackers" and headed down to Koh Tao.  "Koh" is Thai for Island and "Tao" is turtle in Thai.  While we did not see any turtles while there, we saw lots and lots and lots of fish when we went snorkeling! 
The three of us went to Khao San Road in Bangkok after Chris got home from work on Friday.  That road is known as "Backpacker's Alley" as it is filled to the brim with hostels, travel agents, tourists centers, and of course, Backpackers---who, as one of my Dad's friends who comes here for about a month every year (he's been doing that for at least 15 years) and was here while Dad was here, calls them Eurotrash.  The first thing we learned when we got to the Lomprayah Catamaran and tour service was that Dad is NOT a fan of or comfortable around the brand of Backpackers who travel this way.  It takes a certain kind of "free spirit" or lack of money to choose this method.  I probably should have realized it would be too much for him---but the alternatives were looking a bit overwhelming for us to plan.  This way (with the bus trip) we paid for an entire package that included transportation to and from the islands, Bungalow lodging, snorkeling and lunch on Sunday and a couple of breakfasts.  It seemed to make sense at the time---and was easier than looking for plane tickets and then finding our own place.  Chris and I spent two evenings looking for alternatives before deciding to just take the bus down.  Fortunately, the bus was not full, and he was able to have the best seat in the place for the 8 hour busride down to Chumphon---he took over the back 4 seats and was the only one of us who stretched out completely and slept for most of the busride.  (Fortunately for all of us, I brought my Ipod and gave it to Dad so he wouldn't have to suffer the rough the intolerable movie they showed at the start of our busride.)

Once at Chumphon right on the Gulf Coast of Thailand, we had to wait a few hours for the catamaran.  We got there around 5am and we loaded the catamaran around 1pm.  Then, there were further delays because the later bus had engine trouble and the Catamaran had to wait for those people to arrive to take them over to the Islands as well. But, as you can see from the picture on the left, there are far worse places to be stuck, so I didn't mind.  Chris snoozed and read a little, I mostly read, and Dad mostly slept---after he found a place relatively not bothered by people.  

The catamaran ride over to Koh Tao was very nice, I thought.  The weather was amazing---not too hot and not too cold.  Once on the island, there was minor insanity of a couple hundred people, perhaps, walking on and crossing over to a new island off of the catamaran.  Following Chris (who had the map) we found the way to the Bungalows which were our lodging for the weekend.  Dad was in one, and Chris and I were in the other.  We could look out and see the beach.  So, we got there late in the afternoon on Saturday---probably around 4 or so.  We were hungry that we dashed to dinner after we showered and got settled into the bungalow.  

Sunday morning was a bit interesting as there was some confusion over our snorkeling trip.  Apparently, we didn't have the right piece of paper.  Yet again, language barriers created confusion.  As I balanced the growing frustration of Dad and tried to look at the whole thing as a vacation, Chris ran back to the bungalow to try to straighten things out.  Then, I ran back to the bungalow because a fuse was about to blow.  Fortunately, we got motorcycle rides back!  

We finally got things sorted out and were on a boat to one of the islands!  

When we landed on the island, there was a bit more waiting---for at least 2 hours---which we did not know about.  But come on---again, there are definitely worse places to be waiting!  I was basking in the knowledge that I was FAR from Bangkok and even further from Philadelphia.  So, I was pretty happy!  

When the snorkeling boat finally arrived (with about 50 other tourists) someone had a mask and snorkel for us.  We expected some explanation, which never came, and in five minutes, we were out floating in the water.  Yeah, so, see that blue water that's in this picture?  There were coral and lots and lots of colorful fish just below the surface!  We had been waiting and waiting on the island completely clueless of the beauty that was so near!!  So, we snorkeled for a good hour or so swimming with the fish and then they supplied a pretty big buffet for lunch.  Dad took a picture of Chris and me at lunch and it wasn't until we saw the camera a while later did we understand why he was laughing hysterically as he took the picture! What, doesn't everyone bring their snorkels and masks to lunch? :) 

After this stop, we all loaded the boat and headed to one corner of Koh Tao island.  I got really excited when I realized that there was no dock at our next stop.  Then, I got even more excited when the driver of the boat (which was a fishing boat ferry of sorts) said that we could jump off the side of the boat if we didn't want to take the ladder.  You bet that's what Dad and I both did!  Chris stayed behind to document the jumps---he's the best one of us with the camera anyway!  
It was so bizarre to see all the way to the bottom---over 20 feet!  From where I stood on the railing of the deck before jumping, I worried about hitting the bottom it was so clear! Foolish worry!!  I held the mask and snorkel in one hand to my face and jumped off feet first.  It was pretty awesome to see Dad follow!  We had a whole hour to float and swim and watch the fish. I thought it was enough time until we were beckoned to return to the boat.  I think that's the most fun Dad and I have had in a long time---It was a blast!  Chris and I swam around together, too, but it was obvious that Dad and I were really enjoying ourselves.  With snorkels, we'd see fish and point and see more fish Sadly, both Dad and Chris had leaking masks and snorkeling issues---I was completely in my element, though!  Give me water---rivers, oceans, lakes, gulfs---and I am happy!  


To end the wonderful day of snorkeling on the tropical island, we three unanimously decided (without consulting the others, actually) that we were going to watch the sunset from the rocks and beach just a few hundred yards from our bungalow.  Chris took this picture of the setting sun.  Even with all the traveling hassle, the snorkeling more than made up for the adventure in traveling!  Dad seemed so happy to be in the water, and I had NO IDEA the fish were going to be so vibrant and beautiful.  It was like we were in a tropical fish tank!  (I was deeply saddened to see the dying coral reefs, though....And afterwards, I felt that a certain percentage of every tourist dollar spent here should go towards environmental preservation...it is the double-edge sword, so to say.  To show the beauty of nature to people, you disrupt the ecosystem that you want to share.  There has to be a better way to attain that balance.)  

Anyway, we left early on Monday morning---left the bungalow, walked to the docs, waited with lots of other people for the catamaran, and then zipped on over to Chumphon to load the bus to head back to Bangkok.  Even though Chris and I were a bit crispy from sunburn (oh, it was so painful! but we're fine now!), the snorkeling and lounging on the beach and the good times with Dad all seemed to make the long journey there worth the trip!  

Oh, and I forgot one thing: We found the BEST Italian Restaurant--perhaps in all of Thailand!!!---on that Island.  We had dinner Saturday and Sunday night there!   It was cheap, too! And oh so good! :) 

No comments: